Call (07) 3124 7160‬ or Text 0485 908 380

How Can We Help?

< All Topics
You are here:

Queensland has tough laws about participating in criminal organisations.

A criminal organisation is an organisation of 3 or more persons:

  • who have as their purpose or one of their purposes, engaging in, organising, planning, facilitating, supporting, or otherwise conspiring to engage in, serious criminal activity; and
  • who by their association, represent an unacceptable risk to the safety, welfare or order of the community.

The Court can make a declaration that an organisation is a criminal organisation.


Can I be charged for associating with other members of a criminal organisation?

Yes. The Court can make a Control Order when sentencing a person for particular offences who was a participant in a criminal organisation.

A Control Order may contain conditions the Court considers appropriate to protect the public and considered necessary to enforce the Order. For example, conditions might prohibit you from associating with other members, possessing weapons or going to certain places.

You can go to jail for contravening a Control Order.


Can I be charged for recruiting people into a criminal organisation?

Yes. It is an offence for any person who is a participant in a criminal organisation or subject to a Control Order, to recruit or attempt to recruit anyone to become a participant in a criminal organisation. You can go to jail for this kind of offence.


Can I be charged for associating with recognised offenders?

Yes. You can be charged if you are an adult and you habitually consort (i.e. seek out or accept the other person’s company on at least two occasions) with at least 2 recognised offenders (together or separately) and at least one of the two occasions you consort occurs after you have been given an official warning for consorting in relation to the offender.


Can the police force me to identify myself?

The police can generally ask you to give your name and address especially where they reasonably suspect that you have broken the law. A police officer must warn you that it is an offence not to give the police officer your correct name and address.

If a police officer reasonably suspects that you have consorted, are consorting, or are likely to consort with one or more recognised offenders they can also require you to give your name and address.


Will I get a longer sentence if I am deemed to be a participant in a criminal organisation?

If you are deemed to be a participant in a criminal organisation, you may be subject to harsher penalties for certain types of offences.

In recent years, very harsh laws have come into effect in relation to serious organised crime.  There are harsh penalties for people who commit prescribed offences. There are extremely harsh penalties for people who commit prescribed offences committed with a serious organised crime circumstance of aggravation.  These include lengthy mandatory jail terms that must be served entirely in jail.  That is, you cannot get parole.


What about if I want to cooperate with police?

The mandatory jail terms may not be imposed in certain situations.


What is a Public Safety Order?

A Court, and certain police officers, can make a Public Safety Order in relation to an event, or attendance at particular premises or within an area, to stop a person attending within the area or attending the event.

It is an offence for someone to contravene a Public Safety Order, for example, by attending an event the subject of the Order.

You can go to jail for knowingly contravening a Public Safety Order without a reasonable excuse.


Disclaimer: The material presented on this website is an information source only. The information on this website is written for people resident in, or affected by the laws of Queensland, Australia only. Links to other sites from this website are provided for the users’ convenience. The LGBTI Legal Service does not endorse these sites and is not responsible for the information on these sites or the use made of this information. If you have a specific legal problem, you should consult a professional legal advisor.

Table of Contents